What's in a name - Bengalooru?

Ok... I have to admit, I have nothing to write about, and it's been a long time since I posted anything on my blog. So, now that I'm back in Bangalore.. oops "Bengalooru" after 2 odd years, I was wondering what happened to Bangalore that was 3 years back. The change of name has nothing to do with it, but the use of these names helps us understand the divide that has set in.

Since I've been away for a long time, and that I've experienced another city, I think I can analyze and put down some things that have changed in Bengalooru.

Bangalore was a nice & clean city with great weather all round the year. Not that there were no shortcomings but that they were far outweighted by the advantages of the city. Bangalore had nice parks & gardens everywhere and had a more relaxed appeal. I'd heard so many comments that Bangalore is a pensioners paradise.

Enough about Bangalore, let's speak of Bengalooru. Bangalore was renamed as Bengalooru on Karnataka Rajyotsava day in the Golden Jubilee year of the states' formation.

The traffic seems to have increased manifolds and during the peak hours, the traffic can throw even a saint into a fit of rage! The dream of metro rail seems to be taking some shape, but till it is operational, we can only pray.

The real estate value also has increased by up to 300% in 2 years, and is looking as if it will keep spiraling up with the possibility of Greater Bangalore (or should it be Greater Bengalooru?) being given a thought.

Overall, the boom in the IT industry has resulted in greater purchasing power, more disposable incomes, and a rise in the cost of almost everything.

Coming from Chennai, I can definitely say that traveling by auto-rikshaws is a much better experience in Bengalooru. Bengalooru still has the parks & gardens. Still has better climate than many other cities in India. The cosmopolitan culture, the lifestyle, are still the plus points of Bengalooru.

Will the change in name bring order to the traffic, will it augur well for IT companies willing to invest here? Questions apart, I hope with the name change, Bengalooru moves forward, steadies herself and becomes a truly great city to live in...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What (is) a review?!

Behind bars